Saturday, March 3, 2007

Family Story (part 2)

In the year 1939 my moms parents spent their honneymoon in Sun Valley Idaho, they had the best times of their lives. They never forgot the time they spent there. From that day on it was always my grandmother dream to go back to that very special place.

In 1992 my family and I went to Sun Valley Idaho for Christmas. My family included my parents, my older brother Kaione 14, and my older sister Kristin 11. We were joined by my moms sister, Aunty Cindy, and her two sons, Ryan 16 and Hugh Beckley 19, we were also joined my moms parents. At the time that we went I was about 18 months old and could barley walk. My parents took turns taking care of me while everyone else was out skiing and snowboarding. One day they decided to put me in a day care at the bottom of the mountain, just for a couple of hours while they went on a couple of runs up and down the mountain. They didn't realize that when they dropped me off, shortly after a mother drop off her three kids at the same day care and all three of her kids we sick with a fever and cold. My parents were back in about two to three hours when the people that worked their told my mom that they had three sick kids at the same day care and they sent ski patrol to look for the parents of the kids. Unfortunately I got sick with the flue the very next day, a week before Christmas.
For the next three days I couldn’t sleep, I kept throwing up, and I was so weak I could barley open my eyes. On the fifth day I took my second trip to the doctors, and the doctor said, "If he doesn’t get better in the next 48 hours, then we are going to half to keep him here at the hospital." That night my parents stayed up with me all night taking turns holding me and feeding me ice cubes and giving me 7-up so that I replenished some of the sugar and water I lost when I was sick. Thank god the next day, (day six), I started getting better. The next day, (day seven), we went back to the doctor and he said that I was finally getting better but, I was still going to be very tiered and I was going to be very weak and that I needed lots of rest.

When we got back to the lodge from the doctors, everybody was still on the slopes, and I was sitting in the car and was barley moving. My mom got out of our 1990 Volkswagen and came around to get me. She open the door put her purse inside with keys in it, tuned around to put something on the ground, and the door shut close behind her. She turned around and I was locked inside with the keys and her purse. Now remember 14 years ago people didn’t really have cells phones, so my mom ran back to the lodge, called AAA for the code to the door so she could get back in. With the code she ran back to the car, where I was sitting their crying, but at the same time so weak and tiered I could barley sit up, I was now laying down on the seat locked inside the car. The code to the door didn’t work so my mom then ran back to the lodge and called my cousin Hugh Beckley to come and help her. Just so happened that my sister and Hugh Beckley were staying in my aunties Condon right across the street. They all came over and my mom called 911. When everyone arrived the police officer was tiring to open the door, my sister was talking to me to try and keep me calm, my cousin, who is a very big guy, started getting very worried about me and getting very impatient with the police officer. Finally after about 10 minutes of everybody trying to open the door, my cousin Hugh, said, "I’m going to kick the window in."

The officer looked him and said, "Are you nuts? You can’t kick the window in; it’s not your car."

Standing at 6'6" 240lb All-American volleyball player, my cousin said, "Officer I don’t care whose car it is, that’s my baby cousin inside, and if you don’t open this car I’m going to stick my size 16 shoe through that window." I looked at him, and saw that he was going to kick in the window. I didn’t want glass all in my hair, so I reached inside my mom’s purse and grabbed her stop watch. Now this wasn’t any old stop watch, this watch actually stopped time. I hit the big red button on the side that said “STOP”. Just then everything froze in place, except for my sister. I got my sisters attention and I told her that I was going to unlock the back door and for her to grab the slim jim thing from the officer, and for her to pretend that she unlocked the door. So I jumped up, went over to the door, unlocked it, and then sat back down, and pressed the “Start” button to begin time again. As he said that me sister grabbed the lever and tried the back door just one more time, and POP she got it. She unlocked the door and jumped inside to grab me.

Two days later it was Christmas and we all went out to a five star lodge for a beautiful white Christmas. By that time I was feeling much better but still tiered, so my parents rapped me up real tight, to keep me warm, and put me in my stroller. My mom tells me it was one of the best Christmases she can remember. The entire family was up there having a white Christmas together. As the night was coming to a close my mom noticed that my brother Kaione and my cousin Ryan were both gone. They started looking everywhere for them, but no one could find them. Everyone was getting worried and that was the last thing that we needed. We all gathered outside, when all of a sudden, they heard something in the distance, it was dark so they couldn’t see anything, but they heard something. It wasn’t voices, but it was slay bells. As the sound got closer and closer, they noticed that a beautiful horse drawn caredge was pulling up in font of the lodge, and the best part of it was Kaione and Ryan were inside, standing up behind the driver yelling Marry Christmas. They snuck away while everyone was finishing their dinner and hired a caredge to take the family back to the lodge that we were staying at. Everybody was so surprised that no one could be mad. That night we rode back to the lodge and as a family singing HAWAIIAN Christmas carols.

No one new it but that was my grandmothers last Christmas. 35 days later she passed away, 35 days after one of the best experiences of her life she passed away. After she waited 53 years for her dream to finally come true, and after 53 years of waiting she lived her dream, and it was definetly a dream come true.

No comments: