Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Spring Break

This past spring break my family and I went to Snowmass Colorado. My family consists of my parents, my brother Kaione, my nephew Kanai, my aunty and uncle Cindy and David. We call them my biological parents because I’m more like them then my real parents. My cousin Kevin and my aunty Pam also joined us. After my family came close family friends, the Cotes, the Beals, the Blankenfleds, my dads best friend from High school Bruce Conable. We always have a crew of at least 15 that come up to Snowmass with us. This trip I boarded everyday wit my brother and Kevin, and when the David came in I boarded with him. On the 3rd day everyone had arrived and we all skied and boarded together. We always have the best time up in Snowmass. We start everyday at 10:30 down at Two Creeks, which is 5 minutes away from the house. We like to stay on that side of the mountain. Our favorite lift is called Elk Camp. The reason they call it Elk Camp is because in the summer, a herd of Elk live there, they “Camp” there. It has 5 blues that are all the same in difficuty. One of my personal favorites is Sandy Park. Sandy Park is off of Elk camp and is a long Blue with lots of trees and jumps that we could go through. Another one of my favorites is Sneakys. Sneakys is another long blue except this one is on the other side of the mountain. The area that Sneakys is in is the Big Burn. Big Burn is a lot of fun because the altitude is so high that the snow is very soft and is great for boarding. Big Burn is a much bigger area then Elk Camp and has more runs and has much more threes. My family and I love both areas but we prefer Elk Camp because it is more convenient and has half as many people that Big Burn does. The only exception is when it dumped with snow the night before because Big Burn has better powder.
On the 3rd and last day I was there it dumped like crazy, there was so much snow that when we got on thee lift the snow would collect on our jackets and we would be covered in snow. In that situation the Big Burn is much better.
The first two days of our trip the temperature was very hot, it was around 50 degrees. Now that might seem cold to us, but up there that is really hot. The snow was melting and was real slushy, which isn’t good because the board sticks to the snow easier. On the third day it snowed all night and in the morning throw was great. The fourth, fifth, sixth day the temperature was much colder, it was around 28 degrees. Now that is cold. We had to bundle up much and it was hard to move our arms. On the seventh day it snowed from 6 a.m. until about 6 p.m. that morning David woke me up at 8:30 and we were on the lift at 9:00. That morning we went to the Big Burn and went through the trees. The snow and the fog was so think that I could see 50 ft. in front of me. Our last run was about 10:30 a.m. before we had to go meet the rest of the family. I came down first and waited t=at the restaurant. I waited and waited for my uncle to come down. I waited foe 20 minutes, those where the longest 20 minutes of my life because I didn’t know where my uncle was, I didn’t know if he was ok or if he needed help. Finally I called my mom and told her what was going on. As I told her that the snow started to clear and I looked to my left. 100 ft. down the mountain was my uncle, he was sitting and waiting by the lift and was jus about to leave. I raced down there and got his attention. He slimed so big and was so happy to see me. He asked me where I have been and I told him that I was waiting at the restaurant and that I was waiting for, like 20 minutes. He told me that he was waiting for 20minutes to except he was waiting down at the lift. We were worried so much about each other and the whole time we were 100 ft. apart but couldn’t see each other.
We spent our last day on Elk Camp, charging the trees and cliffs. It was a great last day and I can’t wait to go back again. Snowmass is one of my most favorite places in the world, and I can’t wait till next spring break!

No comments: